Dress the kids up snappy for this Wednesday’s individual student pictures
If you want to register your child and you are unable to be at the school during school hours, you can download a copy of our registration form below. Also, we require a copy of the Child’s Birth Certificate, Care Card, and any Immunization Records.
I hope everyone is enjoying the summer vacation period. I’m sure students are excited to back in action (and hopefully we will be soon). We have some exciting new courses available for grade 7-12 students this year. Some of the new electives include: Equine Studies, Small Engine Repair, Drafting & Design, Decorative Arts, and Outdoor Recreation. Check out the links below for information about these courses, as well as our school timetable. I will be posting our calendar soon (it may change due to job-action, so I’m holding off sending this out until we have a clearer picture surrounding when school will be “back to normal”).
Also, if you are a parent considering registering your child(ren), please contact the school as soon as possible. Teachers will be picketing this Thursday (Aug. 28th) and Friday (and possibly beyond), so it would be beneficial to complete registrations before Thursday.
First of all, thank you for your patience. It has been very challenging to find answers to questions surrounding ceremonies, report cards, etc. Here’s the good news:
1. The back parking lot/gymnasium area will NOT be picketed onGrad day.
2. Grad will proceed as “normal” in the school gymnasium. However until 3:30, folks only use the rear parking lot entrance of school.
3. You can begin setting up the gym and/or decorating whenever you like. Teachers/Support Staff are picketing from 9:30-11:30 and from 1:30-3:30. I figure if we get lucky and school returns to normal, classes can go without the gym for a few days given the circumstances.
I will do my best to get the tarp down, chairs, stage, & sound system set up (tarp will be a bit tricky…).
Grad Rehearsal will take place as usual on Thursday, June 26th at 7:00pm. See you there
Elementary Awards Ceremony:
• This will take place on Tuesday, June 24th from 7:00pm-7:45pm. Parents bring students and proceed directly to the gym. I’ll have an area set-up and marked for classes to sit. However, students are welcome to just sit with their parents if preferred. If you cannot attend, you can send your child, but keep in mind that teaching staff will not be present. I’m going through the process of gatheringawards and such that have been signed by teachers before the strike occurred. This ceremony will look a bit different than normal, but the main thing is that we can celebrate the accomplishments of our students.
Secondary Awards Ceremony:
• This will take place on Wednesday, June 25th at 7:00pm (as “normal). Again, I’ll present awards myself.
The Bad News: The local teacher-union rep has informed me that teachers have been clearly directed by their union that they are not allowed to attend awards ceremonies and/or Grad ceremonies unless they have an immediate family member involved. I won’t go into my thoughts surrounding this decision; but I’m sure you can imagine that our teachers are going to greatly miss the opportunity to celebrate the success of our students, and to wish our Grads the best future.
• Exams will proceed as normal. I get to administer them
• We still have not received clear definitions of what these will look like. I CAN tell you that grade 12′s will receive final grades for all subject areas.
Grade 7-12 Course Selections:
• At this point it looks like for 2014-2015 we will run a Kindergarten to Grade 6 elementary wing, and a grade 7-12 secondary wing.
• I will be contacting secondary students by phone to discuss course selections. I’ll also post a copy of our timetable and calendar to our website later this week.
The other news:
• This could all change tomorrow…
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to call. I’ll do my best to answer.
Our Secondary travel club is planning a trip to Australia and New Zealand next year. The trip is open to any secondary student. Children under 12 are able to travel if accompanied by a parent.
You can click here to see the itinerary, and price quote.
If you register as a traveler on our trip before May 5th, you will receive $200 off the price of the trip.
Contact Ms. Bruce for more information.
If you’re interested in attending, please download the forms and fax them to the school when you have a chance (250-783-5465). Please be sure to make it very clear if you are renting, and/or taking lessons (sometimes people just quickly “check” things off and mistakingly choose lessons when they actually don’t want them). Forms must be faxed by March 18th.
Update: The day was a great success! Thank you very much to all the participants for showing PK why we have the best students around!